Friday, November 14, 2008

Holy, um, Cow!

It has been a while since I wrote. For a reason. The financial turmoil we've all been reading about in the papers came home to roost, so to speak, right here. I got laid off in late October and have been marshaling resources/networking/job hunting like a crazy man. Nothing focuses the brain like huge debt on the one hand and no job or income stream on the other. So here we are.

The good thing is I don't have to explain to potential employers why I'm knocking on their doors. The other good thing is that I have had a bit of a jump on the thousands of others who were more recently let go. And the other good thing is that I am past the anger and bitterness that always infects one's mind after being told basically, "it's not you, it's me," which means that because these financial institutions could not manage their households properly suckers like me get played. But I'm over that. I swear.

Meanwhile the news is that the execs that are left at my place are gallivanting around spending untold amounts of government bailout money and paying bonuses high enough to support me and every other employee who was laid off recently for years at the company. Makes no sense to me. And it seems un-American. I thought we looked out for each other. I thought we acted as a team. OK, enough of that. I've got to focus my mind and move forward. This is the greatest opportunity I've ever had. To go out and find something that will allow me to take a step forward personally and professionally. And heck, if it's in Hawaii, all the better.

I have to go to the doctor's office today before my health insurance gets cancelled. Yeah, this is fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home